Thursday, February 02, 2006



The Pleasures of Working from Home

I work from my apartment every Thursday, for the next several months anyway, and it is the best. I begin with a 6 a.m. workout, which gets me all amped up for the day. After showering and eating breakfast, I'm online with access to work e-mail, files, and all the other systems and modes of communication my officemates have at their disposal....without having to be there.

When I get the urge to make a smoothie at 10 a.m. or so, I do it. I just go make one. Today I'm roasting stuffed chicken thighs (sides of white corn and spinach) for lunch and planning to take my lunch break in front of the television for Judging Amy on TNT at noon.

Now what I need is to set up some sort of arrangement where I can do this everyday without having to work at all. I get so much done in my personal life when my job is not an issue. Notice that this 50s-era photo features a woman who is home without any kids. I would love to be a stay at home wife. Once the kid came I'd hightail it back to work!

(please note: I respect stay at home moms very much. This post is in no way meant to be a statement against that choice. I'm simply acknowledging that it takes so much more to be at home with children than home alone on your own terms with all the time in the world, and is in essence a very real job on its own.)

No comments: