Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Two for the Seesaw

I watched this 1962 Relationship Drama (pre "romantic comedy" era) starring Shirley Maclaine and Robert Mitchum last night. I'd only seen the last five minutes of it, about a year ago, before last night. I was so intrigued by the final bit, that I've been wanting to purchase it since. I grew weary of waiting for Amazon.com to have it in stock again, so I asked Catchka to order it for me via Ebay.

Revolutionary in its candor and smart in its assessment of the way men and women "work" in relationships, I am glad that it's among the collection of films I own. One of the lines that really hooked me is when Robert Mitchum's character says "Make a claim on a main; he may just surprise you." The dialogue between the two principal characters is disarming and unaffected. I appreciated the subdued, steady hum of Mitchum's lines to Maclaine's borderline histrionic replies.

Before that, though, I did a truncated workout. The dog surveyed this activity for about five minutes then left the room, figuring, I guess, that she would leave me to my mania. I think that's a new level of intimacy for us.

No comments: