Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Short Leash

The dog, Babygirl, really acted out last night. She is, by nature, improperly socialized when it comes to other dogs, and most people not in our immediate family. Walking her in the afternoon, or even at night, when it's still relatively early, is always at least a little stressful. Last night, she lunged at no fewer than 3 passersby, and really went bonkers upon seeing two dogs who were with their owners.

Caryl takes our walks with us, save for the one we take at the unpopulated hour of 5:45 a.m., which is my favourite, because it is not at all uncommon for us to not see another living soul. Caryl has been trying to give me pointers about to demonstrate authority with the dog, how to restrain her when she is deliberately flouting authority, etc.

After her deplorable actions last night, when we got back in, I was truly pissed. So pissed I started regretting that I've taken her in for the month...In any case, Babygirl inside is a docile lap dog. Truly unassuming, willing, affectionate. All of it. So hard to reconcile that with her growling, posturing, lunging outside self.

This morning, I was dreading taking her out. Just dreading it. But I figured that given how much she was let know that last night was unacceptable, and a lack of other animal and human beings for her to terrorize, she was likely to be better behaved. I kept her leash short, wasn't very indulgent with letting her linger, pointlessly, and insisted that she match my pace, not the other way around.

This is like having a child.

No comments: