Sunday, October 31, 2004

Falling Back

We missed Rita's. When we pulled up to the storefront, there were no long lines, no happy loiterers spooning gelatti into their mouths, no uniformed workers working the custard machines, but instead... a sign that read:

Thanks for a great season... See you in March :)!

I assumed that "open through the last weekend in October," meant the entire last weekend in October. I don't know if we missed that last gelatti by hours or an entire day. We ended up going to an ice cream shoppe of no repute (though it was good) for the last frozen supper. In a way it was more romantic to me that we did not get to have Rita's. It makes me feel grateful that I really savored it all summer. Now I can think of it as an impermanent joy, but imminently returning. There's such hopefulness in that.

After my groceries were delivered this afternoon I opened up the pumpkin quickbread mix and prepared it. Then I started work on my first ever macaroni and cheese casserole. Between my mother and Sarah, I have plenty of opportunities to enjoy it done up right, but I tried my hand at it this time. Not too bad. I have a way to go, but it wasn't horrible.
I am now half-heartedly watching "Adaptation," reading The Quest for Christa T., and blogging (obviously).

Upon reviewing my archives for the month of October, I see that on 10/1 I proclaimed that it was a shame that I had not purchased the coveted coat... that it was too late. Funny. On the last day of the month, I have it. I guess no one can presume to know when "too late" is.

No comments: