Sunday, October 24, 2004

Dismantling

The management company who owns the apartment building I live in is replacing the windows. Translation? Move everything you care about, even remotely, as far away from your windows as possible. Essentially, I have stripped my living room down to bare bones, have filled my "foyer" with G's paintings, my end table, photos, curtains, curtain rods, etc. I have pushed my couch and love seat as far away from the two window units as possible, covered them with sheets, etc.

As for the bedroom, I have similarly rearranged things, shifting all the furniture to one side of the room. The small bookshelf that holds all my cds is now in the hallway between the bedroom and the foyer. It looks like I've just moved in, or that I am preparing to move out...

What this inconvenience (for the sake of progress) has shown me is that I have come a long way. As I was forced to remove the layers of personal touches I've added to this space, I see just how much of my own vision I have brought to the picture--this apartment is really infused with my personality. So many little things I'd lost sight of...things I collected out of context, not knowing just how well they would all come together to form the picture I'd had in my mind, but could not previously articulate.

I hope that by this time tomorrow I will have been able to start putting it all to rights again. Due to a scheduling glitch, my poetry workshop is meeting tomorrow instead of on Thursday (my class is going to go to a reading that is being held on campus). I will miss my beloved UPN line up and the time I could have invested in tidying up my place, but it will be nice to shake things up a bit. I'm getting too used to my schedule... too stuck in my rut of routine events.

Maybe my coat will finally show up. I can't wait to wear it with Catherine's scarf.

No comments: