Friday, October 29, 2004

Say one nice thing about the opposing political party and mean it.

In the most recent issue of Baltimore Magazine there is a featurette on a documentary of sorts in which an organization for political change attended both the DNC and the RNC and filmed several hundred people (some more famous--in the political sense--than others)saying "one nice thing" about the "other" party and meaning it, supposedly.

Just now, I am reminded of that couple, both political pundits, whose names I can never recall. One of them is a rabid democrat, the other a rabid republican--and they are in love. I think that is beautiful, but I wonder how it works...either way, more power to them!

With the country's most important election mere days away, I just want to acknowledge that among my set of friends there are many differences in political opinion, some of them overarching in theme, some of them granular and hair splitting(for the record, I love all of you the same).

Because I don't want my blog to be used for partisan politicking of any sort, I will say something good about both Democrats and Republicans. I appreciate and respect the "pick yourself up by the bootstraps, with hard work and determination you can do anything, everyone deserves a leg up" mentality of Democrats. I support the party's commitment to the arts, social programs, and their legacy of caring about the comman man. I respect the Republicans' historical commitment to putting action behind words--Lincoln led this country in an unpopular war, freed slaves, and aged the psychological equivalent of 20 years in the space of 4, only to die just when he might have enjoyed coming out on the other side of the horrors of war. I also respect the idea that the government should not be involved to a ridiculous degree in every element of citizens'lives.

As for the Libertarian, Green, Populist, and Constitution parties. I salute your efforts to buck the two-party system, emphasize change outside of the box. We need you, whether or not we know we do.

One final note... VOTE!

No comments: