Tuesday, August 17, 2004

The Devil Rides the MTA

Because I live and work in the city, I encounter a diverse cross section of city inhabitants. Everyone from the poor, disenfranchised to the academic, ecologically-minded; from the indigenous blue collars to the pretentious affluent.

On the particular bus line(s)that I ride, the contingent is largely the disenfranchised and ill poor. I see and smell the evidence of bodies rotting from the inside out, blank stares of the intellectually compromised, and during the school year, I ride the bus with students who bear the mark of parental negligence. Soiled, orphaned sheets of paper--homework, I suppose. No dog would eat it, that's for sure. They are often unruly, loud... as though they had "no home training."

Once or twice, I have seen the age old saga of the spirit realm in effect. There is a look a person has when he or she is demonically oppressed, or possessed. Frothing at the mouth, optional. This morning a gentleman who struck a decidedly discordant note boarded. His movements were jerky, his eyes wildly darting about, and he had such a malevolant air about him. When my eyes locked with his, I saw pure hatred. I was thankful that he disembarked before I did. His walk was an exaggerated stomp, and not the result of a physical disability.

In another instance, more than a year ago now, a man boarded the bus, and immediately began yelling in what I assume he thought was "revival fire and brimstone preacher style." His rant was pure babble and gibberish; he was erratic and I worried that he might become violent. I began to formulate a plan in case he began to exert himself. I was deeply troubled, and began to pray because I knew that something had a hold on this man. No sooner than I had the the thought, another man boarded. This man was wearing what can only be called a zuit suit. It was blue and pinstriped. He looked as though he did not belong to this world. He was carrying a huge Bible.

Literally, this man got on the bus, the yelling "preacher" ceased and desisted immediately, and got off as though his life depended on it.

No comments: