Monday, August 16, 2004

Accessories Sold Separately

It began with a simple inquiry. What should I wear to my first grad school class? Catherine's answer was "chic, yet understated. You’re cool and hip and smart, but very approachable and ready for fun!" "Great...I'm Grad School Barbie; I love it," I told her. This yielded a fun exploration of the kinds of accoutrements that my barbie would own, and her corresponding Ken doll.

In case you were wondering, Catherine is Boston Barbie, and her plastic man is New England Ken. She has a variety of kerchiefs and fun summer skirts that you can purchase. New England Ken has a yacht and an M.I.T. education.

Grad school Barbie's accessories are an MTA bus pass, a stainless steel travel mug, and a messenger bag. Her boyfriend is Artist Ken, who sports a fedora, rides a motorcycle to drive his grad school honey around, and comes with a pallette and paint brushes. I think you see where this is going...

No comments: