Saturday, August 21, 2004

Aborted Attempts

The book club has essentially been defunct since it began. I don't understand why, but I have never been able to be part of a successful reading circle--in which everyone was equally committed. In this case the demise was sped up by the fact that a founding member is uprooting and another of us has taken new work and no longer has the same schedule. When you consider that there were only four of us to begin with, you can understand why it's ovah. We read and discussed one book together (not everyone could be present), the second book sucked so badly, half of us didn't finish (or start)it. What we had on our hands was an inorganic group with no synergy. It should have worked. Everyone was excited at the outset. We had a big "expectations" discussion, we picked books...

Sometimes there is no valid reason for things to crumble except that God knows something we don't. I don't want to wax too philosophical about a book club gone south, but as with all other things that peter out, I guess I just have to trust that had it worked, something else in my life that should be coming together, couldn't.

No comments: