Wednesday, August 04, 2004

31 Days to 31

"This is the year I will stop being afraid to succeed at work, in my relationship with the man I adore, in my finances, in ministry/church, and in establishing healthy boundaries with my family."

This is what I said last year, at 40 days out from my 30th birthday. How've I done? Let's see.

As for work, shortly after that post last year, I willingly threw myself into my job, assumed greater responsibility for projects, worked tirelessly, and did not back down from a passive agressive boss. Now, I am looking for a new job.

My relationship with the man I adore... a considerably more difficult thing to assess. Well, I can say that I am not afraid to succeed in a relationship with him. And as challenging as it has been, I have taken a few brave steps, in as much as the burden is on me to do so. Between now and roughly this time last year our ostensible relationship has not changed, but I have and he has. What that says for the future, well only a fool would say.

Church is an A++ since I am now attending church again (which I wasn't last year), and am pondering my place in the ministerial schema of my congregation. I am more grounded now than at 23,and I was able to really throw myself into things then. Maybe now I can pick one element of God's Kingdom to which I can really give my heart.

Family. I've had some clarifying discussions with my mother about boundaries. I'm learning. My relationship with my youngest sister continues to deepen. I have divested myself of almost all obligatory family scenarios, including how and where I spend holidays.

Here's what's markedly different this year:

I moved out of my high rise apartment into the more antiquated one I coveted.
I live alone.
I am a candidate for the M.A. in Writing at Johns Hopkins.
I have furniture that I picked out and bought with my own money.

I am leading the life I want to lead, though not everything is happening exactly the way I want it to,or on the schedule I'd like, but I can see that I've made progress. I'm moving forward, headed to something. I didn't waste the year.

No comments: