Friday, July 02, 2004

Birthday Fusion

This is an interesting time. Wednesday marked Sarah's last day at work;it was another coworker's final day as well (she and her husband are moving back to Miami). We went out for dinner and drinks, a kind of "last hurrah," to commemorate just how much fun it has been to be on this ride together. We were joined by another woman, who, like me, will still be reporting to that pirate operation we call a job on Tuesday morning.

Walking out of the building at the end of the day on Wednesday with Sarah(I actually did make it in for the latter half) gave me a distinct feeling of foreshadowing. I felt like I was leaving for good. I know my departure is imminent, but the end has not yet come for me.

Sarah's birthday was relaxing. We kicked about in the morning, very leisurely and low key. She opened the present I got her at about noon and LOVED it. Later in the day, we had to go to the MVA so she could get her license renewed. She also went clothes shopping and found some great stuff for summer and fall, including a lovely outfit that she wore to dinner last night.

The food was delectable. We all (Michael joined us) got the prix fixe menu, which included a hawaiian sampler appetizer, an entree, and dessert. Michael and I both got Hawaiian Martinis. Ms. Sarah got a Mai Tai. When it was time for dessert, it was chocolate souffle all around. I appreciated that Michael took the liberty of ordering for all of us (after knowing for certain what our selections were). Sometimes it's nice to let someone else just take care of things for you. I felt so honoured when he said "The ladies will have..."

I'm still at Sarah's now, but will be going home in a few hours. My sister is coming to see me tomorrow. I'm looking forward to a weekend of tidying, laundry, and reading. I've been out of the office so much lately, I can't distinguish one day from another. It's all felt like one ongoing fin de semain to me.

The highlight of our day today was the snowcones she made us with the ice shaver Karen gave her. Mine was grape flavoured with Malibu rum.

In other news, I'm on page 2 of the romance pulp novel I'm writing. It will be tres intriguing.

Something else on the horizon:

Going to PA with G and Sarah on the 24th. I have a feeling that will be an outstanding day.

No comments: