Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The hardest part about not dating right now is that the weather is consistently beautiful in the evenings. It's unfortunate that all of my dates, save the last two, were during cold weather when loneliness is somehow more palatable (though it's tough not to yearn for a warm body when you feel that first chill) and hibernation the norm. I'm not often lonely, and I guess I wouldn't say that I am lonely right now. There is the idea of someone specific that I miss, but it's not quite the same. But, the sun begs the presence of sexual tension, cocktails, walking out from some place cozy and romantic into a night that's just as hot as the day time. I guess there's no good time for a dalliance to end and no bad time for one to begin, but I feel old, suddenly, being home for the night by 6:00 p.m., having no plans.

In an effort to keep things interesting, I've decided that I want to start going to events that interest me, whether or not I have to go alone--in fact, I want to be intentional about going to things alone. The baby step is that I'll be going out to eat with only myself for company at least once a month during the summer. However much I might miss the perversely thrilling angst of wondering if a man will call, going out on dates is just not what's in store for me right now. I need to come to terms with some things about myself.

The two and a half months that I availed myself to the world of men and their strange ways will undoubtedly prove invaluable, even the ultmate disappointment that openness led to is priceless, and someday I'll be able to say I wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm not there yet.

Which is why it's good for me to be alone for a while.

No comments: