Saturday, March 18, 2006

Today I'm going to hang out with Jackson's Mom for the first time in about 3 and a half years. We met through the job I had prior to my current one, and we bonded when were both assigned to a crap post at a government agency. Sarah and I are going to drive north and west (??) of Baltimore to see her in her neck of the woods. I am looking forward to meeting her dog, cats, and her son, of course.

Last night I got together with E. We went to Bennigan's for a late dinner (I had a hair appointment right after work). The meatloaf I got was very very good. I never expect much from franchise establishments, so when something is above par, it's really a delight.

While I wait for Sarah to show up I'm listening to Marvin Gaye's "Distant Lover" from the "Let's Get It On" album, which is among my top 5 albums of all time. I enjoy voices that have a little tear in them, something ragged with yearning. He did that so well. The song progresses in such a way that he is losing control of his emotions in increments. The tight melody and harmony hums along in perfect time, then he begins to interject little substitutions and interjections... things like "Lord, Have Mercy," after a verse... but by the third verse, he's taken the leash off his voice all together. He asks this woman, Do you want to hear me scream and plead... plead?

Nobody does it like that anymore.

No comments: