Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Case of the Missing Sausage Links

My Glad container, with a post-it attached, was sitting on my desk this morning waiting for me. Essentially, a much-liked coworker of mine had brought in sausages a few weeks ago, thought mine were they, and that they were old, and tossed them. She asked to be forgiven and noted that she owes me lunch. I e-mailed her and told her that I am a) relieved that this was an honest mistake and not a theft, and b) that what the sausages work out to is about 3 dollars--by no stretch of the imagination a whole lunch.

I'm very glad that the note I sent out yesterday asked a question about my food and didn't make an erroneous statement. Even when an assumption is reasonable, it still may not be right. Yesterday I was convinced that someone stole my food, but I didn't want to come off as a loose cannon anger ball in an office-wide e-mail, so I tempered myself. Because I took that tactic, I didn't inadvertently make someone who made an honest mistake feel worse.

All's well that ends well.

No comments: