Monday, March 20, 2006

Stocked Fridge

For the last several months I've been grocery shopping piecemeal. A few items one day, a few a couple of days later. Occasionally I'd buy enough for a week at a stretch, but that was considered a "haul."

Before that I shopped the way my mother always did when I was growing up. Enough food for an entire month with sidebar trips to the market as needed in between. There are benefits to both methods, and now I remember why I always preferred doing the "big shop" in the past.

It gives such a feeling of satisfaction to look into one's pantry, freezer, and refrigerator and know that there is plenty to eat and plenty to offer. It gives one options, variety, and the ability to plan way ahead.

Tonight, while watching "Grey's Anatomy" I made a low cal shrimp salad which I separated into two separate containers for lunch two days this week; I browned ground turkey, sauteed garlic, and got the sauce started for tomorrow night's whole wheat linguini meal; I made an entire package of turkey sausage links to go with my packet of oatmeal for breakfast every day this week; I threw out old stuff that I knew I wouldn't eat before the move (including mostly empty bottles of alcohol that had been in my cabinet for at least a year or more); I consolidated condiments. Finally, I had a nightcap of the leftover Naked Mighty Mango and Apricot nectar Sarah gave me, mixed with a little vanilla vodka, and a few cubes of ice to make it cold.

I've unpacked my clean laundry (Sarah's been great about letting me do it at her place since she has a washer and dryer in her apartment); I'm in my pjs, and now at about quarter past midnight I'm ready for bed. And even though I'll get precious little sleep, I'm feeling so settled.
I'm glad Sarah and I skipped the newcomer's reception at church to take care of some practical stuff. I can't imagine how much going would have set us back.

We had a terrific time at Kim's on Saturday. Her little one took to us like a duck to water. What an adorable little boy...and her dog, well, she pretty much won my heart with her desperate need for affection and cuddling. I cannot resist a human or an animal who is unabashed in his (or her, in the dog's case) desire to be near me. Kim is looking tremendous. It was so easy to be with her and talk with her--as though not a day had passed. She and Sarah had never met before, but Sarah loved her. We were there for about 6 hours!

Now I just have to get Sarah and Devika in the same room. I know that will be instant chemistry as well.

No comments: