Friday, March 17, 2006

Obsessive Listening

So yesterday I actually went into the office in lieu of working from home. I still left at about two to meet up with Devika prior to my class (we did Ethiopian food!) for dinner, which was, as usual, a treat.

But while still at the company store editing away, editor boy visited my cube and asked, "Do you like Radiohead?" I indicated that I did, so he handed me a CD he had "incorrectly" burned or something. I know the feeling. You make a mistake on a burn and that's it. No do overs. You throw it out or, and now I know this, you pass it on to your amiable coworker...

This has really been a week for obsessive listening to whatever song is moving me at the moment. I happen to have four or five that I can't live without. Heavy rotation. They are Mos Def's "The Panties" (that's right, the panties, but please note: the song never even once mentions this slightly embarrassing word.), Matthew Good's "We were hunting rabbits," and about three different songs from Leela James's album.

So, yesterday, when I was DC bound and sleeping, after about 15 successive listens to Mos Def's Marvin Gaye-sampled love groove (baby, slow down, we're gonna be here for a while, okay?), I stuck in the atmospheric Radiohead (tres conducive to sleeping)... so disembodied and ethereal. A few times I woke up thinking "who am I again?" and then I would go back to sleep.

On the way back home last night I was too tired to sleep. So it was me and Mos Def again. Him telling me to slow down, take my time, because we were going to be here for a while...

No comments: