Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Of the four Jarmusch efforts I watched, I enjoyed "Mystery Train" the most, perhaps because it was in color and had something of a plot-- though "Down by Law" was a credible film on most levels. "Stranger than Paradise" is what I have come to think of as Seinfeldian--I laughed, but was grateful when it ended. I must say that I am intrigued by the connection between the director and Roberto Benigni... who knew? So my crash course in Jim Jarmusch is over. I give myself a B-.

Tonight is my first class of the semester, and with a new professor. I hope I enjoy his teaching style and that the class content is meaningful. It's a requirement for the program, and in my experience required classes are often the least engaging. Tomorrow night is Contemporary American Writers.

I did hear back from the Graduate Christian Fellowship liaison. The group's standing weekly meetings are on Wednesday evenings, which significantly limits my ability to participate this semester (I have class that night), but I did ask to be put on the e-mail list so that I can be kept up on other events/functions. I was really looking forward to a weekly fellowship group through which I might build some satellite relationships, but I have to trust that this is at it should be for now...

Am listening to Carly Simon. "You're so Vain," she says, "You probably think this song is about you."

No comments: