Saturday, January 22, 2005

Love T.K.O.

I grew up listening to many of the predecessors to the current R&B scene. Among these is Teddy Pendergrass, and I am pleased to be the owner of his love songs collection (thank you, BMG), which includes my favourite track, "Love T.K.O." This is a slow groove anthem announcing that the singer has once again been Totally. Knocked. Out. by love, for what he hopes is the last time.

When I was a kid, say five or six, I felt in my soul that I understood what Teddy meant when he sang "taking the bumps and the bruises of all the things of a two-time loser..." and later when he plaintively sang "I'm tired of getting beat up by love" as the number faded out. The repeating refrain... "I think I better let it go, 'cause it looks like another Love T.K.O." Yes, my 1st grade self knew what that was all about. My crush was not digging on me, and Teddy felt my pain if no one else did.

As I type this post, Teddy's voice is filling my bedroom, the outside world a steady stream of snow... and I sing with him "I tried to take control of the love, the love took control of me... see I tried to hold on, my faith is gone, it's just another sad song..."

No comments: