Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I am happy. For no good reason. I know I shouldn't be suspicious of happiness and feelings of general well-being, but I am. What, I wonder, is the cause of this lack of upset? In any case, it's actually better when happiness is not contingent on an event, external condition, or another person--because then, none of those entities can undermine it. Eating a rather curious lunch of PB&J and veggie chips, it seems to me that life is very very simple and very very good.

My cd player is stuck on "In times when my head" by Carly Simon--a track with which I was unfamiliar until a few days ago. It's one of those swirling lyrical ballads, the kind for which she became famous. Hey, it could be 1979 all over again. I seem to recall that I felt this kind of simplistic joy on some random day that year.

No comments: