Sunday, November 07, 2004

Jam Packed

My weekend has been so satisfyingly full. This weeked was Family Weekend on campus, and even though I am not an undergrad, my mom and her beau did some research and found out about some free (or inexpensive) campus events for us to go to... they were so intentional about wanting to spend time with me, and that was awesome. They even brought me "happy Family Weekend" presents. What I realized is that there are so many things happening on campus that I can be taking advantage of on a regular basis. I was in this mindset of just going to my classes. No wonder I don't really feel connected to the community. Must rectify this bad paradigm post haste!

After church this morning, I hooked up with them again and we went to Cafe Hon for brunch, then went antiquing and window shopping in Hampden. There are so many awesome shops I've passed by a million times, but had never visited. I am so going Christmas shopping on "The Avenue," Hon!

After going to view the spaghetti suspension bridges that Hopkins Engineering students built, we went to my place to chill and watch a movie while waiting for the concert at a church in Towson where Gordon's art is showing. Minor snafu. We went out to the car at 3:15 and found that Jim (mom's friend) had left his lights on for the two hours we'd been inside. Needless to say the car would not start. I started mentally preparing myself for the fact that we just might not make it, but we gave it about 15 minutes, and finally we did get going. Arriving right at 4 p.m., we slid in right behind G and his family (His mom, dad, uncle, niece, nephew, and sister). I have never met anyone in his family, so I was a little nervous sitting behind them, but also excited.

During the intermission he took my hand to greet me and we exchanged a very nice hug. My mom hugged and kissed him, too, and they chatted for a bit. After the concert, I did walk around with him chatting with various people, and then he introduced me to his family (unfortunately his sister and her kids left before intermission so he lamented not getting to introduce me to them). When my mom and Jim were ready to go, I went to say goodbye to him. We hugged again and he confirmed that he will see me on Wednesday for Smallville.

From there, the three of us headed up to the Towson Diner, then back to my place for coffee. They just left, so I'm unwinding. I think I'll try to finish watching "The Importance of Being Earnest." I love weekends like this. No time to muddle about just thinking the same old tired thoughts.

No comments: