Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Best of Chet Baker Sings...

Am listening to the singing trumpeter while drinking my morning coffee (the taste of which is best described as being "amiss"). Well, everything can't be perfect. This much I know.

Okay, so I still have not watched "Cold Mountain." Due to my busy weekend and class schedule I just haven't popped it in. It's also 2.5 hours long, which is a commitment on a weeknight. So I am bound and determined that Friday night after my outing is over, I am coming home, making some coffee, turning off the lights, snuggling on my couch while I relish watching this thing all alone in my place. Gosh, but I do like being alone. It is underrated. It is heaven to me... provided I can have limited contact with others when I'm in the mood to do so.

I read an article recently about couple, recently married (it was the 2nd marriage for both of them), and they mutually agreed to keep their individual residences. Several things about their situation made this a practical choice. It gave me hope, honestly. I have always thought that having a lair of your own to which you can retreat when you just need a break would be great.

As a writer, I find that having space of my own is crucial to the pouring forth of ideas. Living with someone stunts that process for me. I can't really open up to the page (or anything else) until I am all alone. A true introvert, others do not usually inspire me. I have to get all nice and insular before I know how I feel about anything. Maybe it's a problem? I just find that I'm much more likely to want to be with someone else if I know that I can be alone whenever I want to be.

Thanksgiving will be just my sister Caryl and me in my apartment. I am so excited. I've never made my own Thanksgiving meal before. I'm thinking short ribs or pork loin instead of fowl for the center piece.

No comments: