Monday, September 18, 2006

Vibing

Class was better tonight, and that was in large part due to the fact that I decided it would be better. There were still moments when I felt that some of the exercises were elementary, but it bothered me less. Of course I knew I would be meeting with my advisor afterward-- a meeting I knew I would find much more liberating and engaging, artistically speaking--so perhaps it helped me to know that.

In any case, I handed off my thesis and we talked about the process in the context of my Independent Study. But we also just talked. And that was wonderful. I always feel so connected to the deepest part of myself when talking about the world through the lens of writing. We agreed about the romanticism of train travel, and when I told him that over the last year or so I had come to embrace rap and hip-hop (in the past I felt that I had to distance myself from anything ostensibly culturally black in the interest of not being pigeon-holed), he asked me for recommendations. So I'm going to burn him a few CDs.

We meet again in two weeks. So I need to plow through Thus Spake...

No comments: