Friday, September 15, 2006

Leaning Tower of Leftovers

E and I planned to meet up at Sammy's Trattoria (The place to eat in Mt. Vernon) for a plate of the delectable calamari and ended up, thanks to E's characteristic generosity, feasting on breaded chicken cutlets topped with jumbo lump crab. I ordered a glass of finely balanced, full-bodied, but divinely unassuming (yet completely consuming) Syrah. Because the calamari had been the point of our outing (catching up, a given) we put the lion's share of our energy into enjoying it. The chicken and crab came with a side of pasta (I got the penne with garlic and olive oil), most of which I have to heat up or repurpose as I choose.

Meeting with E is always a conversational feast as well. Most of her anecdotes begin with "Did I tell you about....?" In many cases "the disastrous date I had" is the phrase that takes up residence in place of those ellipses.

Am listening to June Christy sing "Something Cool." The quintessential smoky-voiced jazz vocalist was underappreciated while she lived. I think I'll put on a pot of decaf and do some more work on my thesis. I meet with my advisor on Monday after my class and it would be nice if I had actually made some more progress.

No comments: