Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Lest Kate Krupnik forgets...

because it's not like anecdotes about being hit on by quasi intoxicated men ever cease to be funny. So, yesterday morning while I waited at the Lightrail stop, listening to the 33rd Birthday Collage playlist I'd assembled, this man in a gold Ravens jersey motioned for me to take out my earphones. I felt slightly put out immediately, but tried not to show it.

Quasi intoxicated man [bobbing and weaving]: Good morning
Kate Krupnik [indulgently]: Good morning.

Then I replaced my earbuds.

Quasi intoxciated man: [getsturing with an inkpen and sheet of paper he'd suddenly materialized]

Kate Krupnik: [shaking her head no in polite decline of either a) giving her phone number or b) accepting his]

Quasi intoxicated man: I just wanted to tell you you're sexy. I had to give you your props.
Kate Krupnik: Thank you [replaced earphones once again].

At this point I tried to do the body language thing. You know the stance that says "this conversation is over"? Well the quasi intoxicated gentleman was not familiar. Not to be so easily deterred he went on to motion for me to remove my earphones three more times.

Quasi intoxicated man: I like your accent
Kate Krupnik [slighly more intrigued than put out at this point]: I haven an accent?
Quasi intoxicated man: Well, I can hear it-- I mean it's not Baltimore... that's all I'm saying.

So I thanked him and wondered where on earth that train could be.

Quasi intoxicated man [motioning for me to remove the music from my ears yet again]: What I'm trying to say is I like the sound [more bobbing and weaving].

Finally, the Lightrail made an appearance on the tracks. The clang-clang-clanging of its arrival interrupted what was not an altogether unpleasant event. I mean, the utter unsuitable nature of this man as a true contender for my heart aside, I immediately started thinking about the blog post I would write. Not bad for a Monday Morning.

No comments: