Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Since 1998 I have been of the mind that it's going to be me and Baltimore forever... even when I left in 1999 I understood that I would be back as soon as I finished my business in the suburbs of Washington, DC (which I categorically hated). In 2002 I did return and I thought to myself "Okay, that's it; I'm home now and I'm not leaving ever again." It was no struggle to feel and express fierce loyalty to this city, to be protective of it when haters dissed it, which was and is fairly often.

But lately, more and more, I've been coming to a conclusion. That I mind less and less the idea of leaving. Having a class in DC this semester has opened me up to that city in a way that I have never been before (even though I was born there). I'm not saying that's where I want to move, but not hating it anymore is huge. When I worked in the District in 1999, I loathed the visceral impression it gave me, and out of love for Baltimore, I felt that it was my duty to despise it. This may seem extreme given that we are only talking about geographic locations, but perhaps it's understandable when put in the context of emotional affiliations.

In any case, I've relaxed the Vulcan Death Grip I have had on Charm City (or, it has relaxed its Vulcan Death Grip on me)for 8 years now. This may be indicative of a certain level of maturity in me, or perhaps it's foreshadowing of an enventual departure. In any case, I'm staying put for at least a year. I just signed a lease.

No comments: