Thursday, April 20, 2006

Preview of things to come

I woke up at about 6:30 to get ready to head over to the new place for the walk through with the Property Manager and to wait for the furniture delivery.

How to describe the interaction with the PM... well, she was obviously on the defensive from the jump, which set the tone for the process. To her credit, she got herself (or someone) in there and hustled earlier this week. Several of the big issues were already taken care of. When I noted that upon my arrival, it instantly made me feel better about everything. She showed up about 2 and a half hours earlier than I was expecting her, which was fine since I was there and just waiting around. She had a contractor in tow, which was also nice because I had someone other than her there to see certain things I pointed out and to validate that these things, are indeed problems. But man, it's clear that my pointing out issues and my attention to detail has alienated her. There you have it; I'm not even in the apartment fully and my arch nemesis is the only person who can really help me with anything. Great.

I spent the better part of the morning cleaning the bathroom, hanging the shower curtain, and scrubbing the kitchen. The place already looks and feels better.

The furniture came at the earlier end of the time window I'd been given, and the delivery men got my new overstuffed chair, china cabinet, end table, and dining furniture (which has to be assembled) in the elevator without a problem. Not only was it a relief to have that leg of the process taken care of so smoothly and quickly, but it's a pretty good indication of the fact that none of my other furniture will have any problem fitting into the elevator, so the movers on Saturday should be able to execute the transference of my stuff with relative ease.

Finally, I was planning to have a friend come over and help me rehang one of the curtain panels (I missed a loop on Saturday), but the contractor, while he was there with the ladder, just took care of it for me so I didn't have to trouble my friend and I was able to get out of there sooner than I had hoped.

I checked out a nearby cafe I had read about in Baltimore Magazine a few weeks ago; It's going to be my new place. I simply adored it. I had a ham and apple sandwich that was so delicious it made me want to sing, along with a french vanilla coffee. Nice.

No comments: