Friday, March 18, 2005

Split ends...

"An Inverse Proportion is a relationship in which one variable increases as the other variable decreases proportionately. In this type of relationship, the product of two variables will remain constant."

My meeting with my Instructor at TOW (The One World) on Wednesday was brief. It took a total of 13.5 minutes (not counting the time it took me to walk there, walk back home, or to take off my coat and sit down, which would bring the total time to a whopping 15 minutes). The conversation accomplished its purpose, which was for him to articulate to me his concerns about his lack of confidence in advising a poetry student when he's a fiction guy, for us to lay out a plan, and to synch up, vision-wise, in terms of expectations. In short, he's going to do it.

I gave him a sheaf of relatively recent work that I believe to be representative of my writing style. Oddly enough, I don't feel too vulnerable. This program has toughened me up. He may write me at some point and say "hey, I don't think I can advise you; I don't really care for what you're doing here." Or he may not. He may like it and not say a word; he may not like it and not comment. Another construct [that of caring] bites the dust. Who knew it could be so much fun to upset one's own apple cart?

No comments: