Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Green Tea

The next gauntlet? No coffee at all. This is day 4. It's not that I'll never have it again, but I have decided to enjoy it only occasionally. Within the last three days, three people have touted the virtues of green tea. Naturally, since I haven't been living under a rock, I know it has excellent health benefits in addition to being delicious, but I've always been a "coffee person," and I hardly felt the need to stray in order to satisfy my need for a hot beverage.

I see now that coffee had given me a kind of tunnel vision. Things taste different now in its absence. That is to say, I feel that I can taste things again. I'd no idea that my sensitivity to certain flavours might be dulled due to my compulsive consumption.

In about an hour and ten minutes I'm going to the One World Cafe to meet my instructor to talk about his being my thesis advisor. As the time draws nearer I find that I'm not sure what there is to talk about. Do you want to be my advisor? Yes? Good, shall I e-mail you some of my poems? Okay? Maybe he'll have some questions for me. I'm sure the time will pass quickly... but it's suddenly dawning on me that e-mail banter and class discussion is a bit different than sitting right across the table from this person having a one-on-one.

It's all part of obliterating constructs. Everything I hold dear, in one form or another, is being split apart--decimated at its most base level. It's time for me to be able to hold court with another living person without the trappings of my humour or my weight or coffee to protect me.
I'm typing this as my sister naps. Gosh, but seeing her just woke up my spirit. Once we got back to my city, we immediately listened to a bunch of music and talked about all the new discs I've recently acquired. Like yesterday, I bought Jay-Z's "Black Album." If you know me, you know this is something of an anomaly, the recent Kanye West purchase aside. But I've got to tell you. I'm just in a rap place right now. The beat is right for my walks... and I'm opening up myself to the true poetry of the lyrics. My Favourite track on Le Album Noir? "Justify my thug," which samples Madonna's "Justify my love." What can I say? It's off the chain.

No comments: