Sunday, March 06, 2005

Obliterating Constructs

This morning I took my coffee black. Though I hardly ever tested myself on this point where java is concerned, I have always believed that the more superior any food, the less likely one is to need condiments to go with said food. Cream and Sugar are obviously coffee's condiments, and I use them in abundance. However, there have been a scant few times when the quality of a brew was so excellent, that I only used the cream, and did not miss the sweetener. Obviously, I have tasted black coffee before, and once or twice it wasn't so bad, but I didn't even think to commit myself to the discipline of drinking it that way all the time.

I read last night that one cup of black coffee in the morning acts as an apetite suppressant, and helps to kick start the metabolism (along with a good breakfast, of course). I am already down to one cup, but I decided to throw down another gauntlet for myself.

Brewing the Gevalia Vanilla Nut blend this morning, I began to psyche myself up. "It's time to become a purist--to really love coffee, and save myself needless calories," I said to myself. I told myself that when I get used to it, I won't believe that I ever put anything in my coffee, masking its true essence.

I drank most of the cup. I gave up once it became tepid, but I would have done that even with the accoutrements present. The experience felt more pure. Here's the thing:

I am the constant in my relationship with everything and everyone. I am responsible to teach people and food how to treat me. I could learn to be different, if I would but yield to the long process of change.

Someday I'll be able to say to myself: "...things aren't the way they were before; you wouldn't even recognize me anymore; not that you knew me back then..."

No comments: