Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Before I share a couple more poems that are especially meaningful to me, I just want to say that all of my friends are doing and saying just what I need them to do and say at this time. All of you are being so amazing, leaving supportive comments on the posts, calling, praying for me, taking me out to lunch, telling me that you wish you could be here with me...

Christ asks us to bear each other's burdens, to rejoice with those who rejoice and to mourn with those who mourn. Thank you for entering into this time of difficulty with me.

Among the comforts of my life, I still find poetry, waiting, and in poetry is one of the evident graces of God.

From Rilke:

Solemn Hour

Whoever weeps now anywhere out in the world,
weeps without cause in the world,
weeps for me.

Whoever laughs now anywhere out in the world,
laughs without cause in the world,
laughs at me.

Whoever walks now anywhere out in the world,
walks without cause in the world,
walks toward me.

Whoever dies now anywhere out in the world,
dies without cause in the world:
looks at me.

From Jane Kenyon:

Briefly It Enters, and Briefly Speaks

I am the blossom pressed in a book,
found again after two hundred years....

I am the maker, the lover, and the keeper....

When the young girl who starves
sits down to a table
she will sit beside me....

I am the food on a prisoner's plate....

I am water rushing to the wellhead,
filling the pitcher until it spills....

I am the patient gardener
of the dry and weedy garden....

I am the stone step,
the latch, and the working hinge....

I am the heart contracted by joy...
the longest hair, white
before the rest....

I am there in the basket of fruit
presented to the widow....

I am the musk rose opening
unattended, the fern on the boggy summit....

I am the one whose love
overcomes you, already with you
when you think to call my name....

No comments: