Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Non Strep Pharyngitis

Sarah and I had a marathon shopping day on Monday, and near the end of the race, over dinner, I noticed that the right side of my throat felt "weird." I assumed that my glands were swollen because I was run down. I expected to be better by morning.

I didn't feel better yesterday morning, but I didn't feel worse, either. Once at work, I went to whole foods to buy a box of Echinacea tea and some orange juice. at 3:40 I was feeling poorly enough to leave work, and to write my professor letting him know that I would not be attending class. Somewhere between work and home, I started to feel remarkably better. So much better, in fact, that I went to class. I love the collection of short stories we are reading right now, and other than last night, there is only one more class. Even though my professor is mine to enjoy next semester as well, I wanted to see him. He wrote back to my note saying I wouldn't be there that he was "sorry to lose [me] for the night."

(Sidebar: last night I dreamed that I saw my estranged friend and she told me that she was not "mad at all..." then we chatted about what motherhood is like for her. I was conspicuously avoiding the topic of the artiste, when she said "so, you haven't told me if you have any love interests..." I knew that was her way of asking about g, so I said "No, I don't... but my professor may be in love with me.")

Surprisingly, I felt terrific and enlivened for the entire class period--something I can't always boast when I'm fine.

I expected to make it in to the office today, though I did tell my manager yesterday afternoon that it was possible I would still be feeling poorly come Wednesday. When I was conscious enough to know how I was feeling this morning, the verdict was not good. I called in, and continued to sleep until about 10:30. By 11:30 it was clear to me that I did not want to continue to be in agony every time I swallowed, so a visit to the doctor was in order. All of my pain was still localized to the right side of my throat only. I did not want it to spread. The last time I tried to "tough out" a sore throat, it was toncillitis and my body did not fight it off with rest and over the counter remedies.

The people at PatientFirst were efficient, warm, and helpful. The throat swab test was negative for strep, but I was given a script for amoxicillin (and was even able to have it filled there), and sent on my way. I took the first dose with lunch and started to experience relief on contact. I am and have always been very pro antibiotic. I never experience any negative side effects, and my system almost always responds right away.

So now I am wondering if it's foolhardy to attend this poetry reading on campus tonight... I want to go, and I've just had a long nap. I'll let you know what I decided.

No comments: