Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Cold Snap

I was in Berkeley Springs, WV this past Saturday. Michael had a brass quintet gig and he invited Sarah and Myself to hear his ensemble play at the Coolfont resort (since we were with the band we got the dinner buffet for free). One of the members--the trombonist--kept referring to the "cold snap" that was heading for us--and for the rest of the night my mind kept turning over this phrase. I've heard it before, but suddenly it seemed so full of potential, poetically speaking. Cold. Snap. I said it aloud to myself, softly, throughout the night.

Yesterday morning I stood at the bus stop while winds knifed me in the back, in the shins, and sliced my fingers, encased in thick fleece gloves that I might as well not have been wearing. It slashed at my face, plunged through my black knit cap. Cold Snap. 9 degrees in the sun.

This morning the temperature boasted a tropical 17 degrees while I stood at the bus stop, and while I am dressed even warmer than I was yesterday, I also felt a naked difference--the windy gales have ceased and desisted--and there is a Warm front. moving in. Warm. Front.

I spent time with Naomi last night. She drove up from the DC area where she is visiting friends. Her return to the west is imminent and she wanted to connect before departing. I really wanted to see her too. We had a nice low key evening of anecdotes and takeout Chinese food--her treat, and before she left we got a chance to pray together. I really felt the presence of God in those moments, and felt that He did give me several revelations and impressions about matters that concern Naomi (I was praying for her, primarily). And when she prayed for me, her words were relevant, and I did feel very much that she was mindful of the various things that were troubling me, mostly my relationship with G, whom I miss terribly right about now. I woke up in a nice mood this morning.

No comments: