Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Anna Karenina

I have been meaning to read this novel for a long, long time. Because I already know how it ends thanks to numerous movie and literary references, it seemed especially fitting reading for me--what with my preoccupation with trains and all. The now defunct book club of which I was a part wanted to take it on this winter. I still work with one of the girls who was part of that unsuccessful foray into the world of literary pursuits, and she left it for me, as a gift, in my top left drawer at the office on Thursday when I was out.

I was truly delighted by her thoughfulness. I began the 923-page journey yesterday and have calculated that if I read 35 pages a day, it will take me about a month to complete. When school stars back up, I may drop to 20 pages, which will push me over into the month and a half bracket. It shall be my wintertime companion. That and Netflix.

Coffee was mine in abundance this year. I will not soon run out between my Starbucks gift card and the bags and tins that I received. So I will hunker deep on my couch and read and read and sip and sip, and get lost in Russia, thousands of miles away.

No comments: