Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The Secret Santa Debacle



There is a disturbing trend among office secret santas. Many seem to be of the mindset that candy in miniature is the only inexpensive gift available. Now, I am NOT looking to my secret holiday exchange person to rock my world on a large scale, and it has just been two days (this is day 3), but I managed to think up three really great, non candy ideas so far (one of which was free, practically)--and I did not break the bank, not even close.

We filled out questionnaires to help guide the person who drew each name--and I feel that the point of them is largely lost when your SS keeps tossing foil wrapped sugar on your desk. Surprise, indeed. No one seems to really be getting into the spirit of the thing if you ask me--but then again, I should consider the people with whom I work. All very nice, but not very festive.

Anyway, I know that the point is to be intentional, and this candy is something that I would not have had otherwise (By the way, I don't like candycanes--I find them cumbersome to eat), so I shouldn't even care that it's not interesting or original or personal to me in any way.

I am using it to decorate the table top tree that sits to the left of my computer monitor. It's all about the spin, I guess. When your secret santa hands you lemons...

No comments: