Sunday, August 13, 2006

My sister is leaving today. And I will miss her so much it will take me at least a week to adjust to the lack of her in the apartment. Not that her presence ever entirely goes away. If you've met Carly (a nickname of hers), then an indelible impression has been made.

My other sister, whose name also begins with a C is here and at some as yet undetermined time, they will get in the car with our beloved Babygirl and drive away.

As much as I love the sense of accomplishment that comes with closing the door on certain parts of life and times and seasons, this one is a bit harder.

So in homage to my summer (the second in a row) with Carly, I give you a little roundup of the themes of this particular season.

Song of the Summer: The Beautiful Ones (Prince)
Show of the Summer: So You Think You Can Dance?
Phrase of the Summer: Two more minutes... (spoken sleepily by C when I tried to wake her up in the morning)
Best "Something Good" of the Summer: You will be getting a new job soon (spoken in May!)
Worst Gig of the Summer: C being forced to sing a medley of "People" and "Reach out and touch somebody's hand" at my mother's community service organization's banquet
Best Gig of the Summer: The Green Door with Juanito!
My Favourite Moment of the Summer: Listening to C and her band guys practice in the apartment
Favourite way to make change for the bus: Going to 7-11 to buy ice cream sandwiches or diet black cherry vanilla Coke
My Summertime Obsession: Making the slightly earlier bus in the morning!
What I wouldn't have had any other way: Walking out of my old job for the last time with C by my side.

No comments: