Monday, August 07, 2006

I've Been Through The Desert On A Horse With No Name...

That's what the latter part of July and beginning of August have felt like. Incidentally, I am also listening to America's classic "Horse With No Name" as I type this entry. What a curious bunch of lyrics.

Today was well-paced, even-keeled. Me in control. Had the last status meeting I'll ever have at this place. It was all about printouts, work logs, and having more information to disseminate than was necessary. I'm finishing things on my own terms in spite of some maneuvering on the boss lady's part (last week) to show me who was boss. I saw her agressive posturing and raised her an "above-and-beyond-the-call-of-duty" strategy. Yeah. So don't mess with me. So now she knows. But she doesn't know she knows...

In typical fashion, my initiative is making things happen as they ought. I had to ask HR about my exit interview (this has happened before at other companies). Heck, the payroll woman didn't even know I was leaving. Outside of my department and a handful of other people, I'm beginning to think this is the best kept secret in the company. Anyway, I found out that the process of scheduling an exit interview is being held up because my manager hasn't filled out a form. Maybe when she was busy making sure I completed a task outside the scope of my job, she should have made sure she'd gotten things that are her job done.

Well. It seems that I am downright snarky this evening. I'm trying not to lament the fact that because I took my July vacation before I'd actually accrued the days that I am 4 days in the hole... esentially, the last check will be a significantly shorter one. I am comforting myself by reminding myself that I could not have known I was going to be getting a new job so soon... and that that vacation was a Godsend. It saved my life. I was back at the office a little over a week when I got that interview at the new place. So this will all eventually work out.

But I had to postpone the honey brown highlights I'd planned to get this Saturday morning. 'S okay. Everything in due time.

No comments: