Thursday, August 03, 2006

32 Days to 33...

Okay, so the neurosurgeon called. Straight off, he asks me "why are the Israelis attacking my people?" If E hadn't shared with me earlier this week that he had asked her the same thing, I would have been taken aback. Just because it's so loaded, politically, to even discuss this issue--particularly when you are ill-informed, as I am, about the latest events.

Sidebar: I will only discuss politically controversial topics with people with whom I have an established relationship--family or friends--not because I am afraid of controversy but more because I want a person to know where I'm coming from, on the whole, so that any comments I make can be taken in context. Not that I want my friends and loved ones to agree with me, but I do want to know that they're disagreeing with me based on what I'm actually saying...not a misunderstood version that is being filtered through the lens of a certain predisposition.

In any case, I dealt with it by asking him a question. Something technical about what's happening. It seemed to reroute him.

He mentioned the wine festival that E told me she'd mentioned to him... that she suggested he take me to! But he just mentioned it. He didn't ask me to it. So I said "So are you calling to ask me to the wine festival." We're going. He also said that I should call him if I want to do something before then.

Look, people, this was not a love connection the night we had dinner or anything, and while I'm open to hanging out with him here and there, I'd prefer if it was in the context of group stuff... but I'm trying to be less rigid. I am woefully unpracticed. This would be great, I think, if he and I stay on the same page.

At the very least, it's an anecdote with a lot of mileage potential.

No comments: