Thursday, August 10, 2006

Barefoot in the Park...

was charming, as I had remembered it (I believe I had seen all but the last 5 minutes before). And a good sized, fun crowd came out. Such a feeling of community--friends, couples, dogs, a ferret on a leash...

Speaking of dogs. Before the movie started, V and I went to the "wrong" park in my neighborhood at first (the movie was shown in the one on the other side of the street, so it was an easy correction to make) and sat down by the fountain when one of several dogs came over to me. I saw it notice me as soon as we entered the park, and I understood that it wanted to make a connection. So, I sat down and she/he (I didn't have time to notice) came right over, and just stood looking at me. Its head was practically on my leg, but she (I'll just say "she") was still affecting an unobtrusive posture. I started to talk to her, "hello..." at which point she licked my fingers. I petted her head. More licking of my fingers ensued. Then she trotted off. I complimented the dog's owner on her fantastic animal. Really, what a sweet spirit she had!

Anyway, V and I spread a blanket I'd brought and drank the iced decaf coffees I made us at my place and settled in for vintage Jane Fonda and Robert Redford. The movie is really funny and I loved laughing outside with strangers on a balmy summer evening (occasional sirens broke the mood). Honestly, there will be three more Wednesdays of movies. It would be a tremendous thing to do with friends, alone, or on a date.

No comments: