Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Putting the Cart Before the Horse

I've been out of step with God lately. It was not three months ago that I told him in a prayer that I would rather have intimacy with Him than anything else. This is before I had moved, gotten new couches, and when I was still pretty much on hiatus from a lot of my social interactions with friends.

During this time of consecration last winter I had recommitted to tithing, I was more prayerful, and I had a lot of focus at work, I just knew that I was really in fellowship with the Lord.

I've gotten lazy in light of God's blessings, and I've started putting a greater premium on things. Is it any wonder that I've lost my focus, my motivation, and that my finances are again out of whack, because I've been on a tithing break, no longer seek God with my heart every day? The Bible says that where a man's treasure is, there will his heart be also. It also says that seeking God's kindgom first ensures that the Lord will take care of every other need that I have.

I know this works. I am a witness to the faithfulness of God. So, why then do I grasp? Why then am I even tempted to make everything and everyone else more of a priority? In addition to catching up on some rest today, I am also reorienting myself to the Spirit of God.

I know that intimacy with Him is sweeter than anything else I crave, and actually facilitates enjoying every other relationship, and every other blessing so much more.

No comments: