Monday, June 21, 2004

I could have had a V8!

My outing was lacking... first of all, I was awfully tired all day today. So tired in fact, that for the first time ever it occurred to me to postpone plans with Gordon, but since I am going to be busy for the forseeable future, I downed some strong coffee and ate a Snickers bar. In essence, I rallied.

He, on the other hand, was so tired he could have taken a nap right at our table, and nearly did. He was sleepy to the point of distraction... he kept staring down at his feet, or up at the ceiling, so at one point, I said very plaintively "Do you intend to look at me at all during this converstaion?" He told me he was thinking, then made it a point to stare at me in this exaggerated way for the next 30 seconds.

Oddly enough, I would say that our conversation was fine, for what it was. Him kvetching and me being mildly amused by it. I wore a smirk on my face for the duration of our sub par experience. It's not that I had a bad time as much as it is that I could have been doing something different and had just as good of a time. I could have contemplated my navel and felt better about it than I did this outing.

My mistake was in thinking that his seeming insistence about getting together meant that it was a priority... forget about my romantic delusions for a moment, and let's just put this where it belongs. Squarely in the friend zone. I was an afterthought. One more unremarkable thing he did today.

And he, sadly, was more unremarkable experience among the many I had today as well.

It's so funny; he looked especially nice tonight, and in some ways, between yawns, he was especially funny and charming. But it wasn't enough.

I'm going to bed.

No comments: