Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Settling In

My alarm clock has a cd component, and for the last 4 years I've been waking up to the opening strains of the cd of my choice. Since the move, I've had America's Greatest Hits in the player, so I hear the excellent guitar riffs of A Horse With No Name and open my eyes just as the sun rises over the buildings. The sky is usually purple at this hour (6 a.m.), and I am in a room with a hardwood floor that is pleasantly cool to my feet when I pad to the bathroom.

I put some more things away last night. One of the amazing features of my place is a built-in floor-to-ceiling pantry in the kitchen. I finally have adequate room to display all my pretty things--latte mugs, tea sets, kettles, vases, etc.

I need bookshelves in the worst way! All my books are still in boxes, some sitting on top of each other, and I worry about them becoming pressured and warped. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better for me to take them out and stack them in a corner than to leave them that way for the next month or so...

The new bus commute is a dream! I pick up one bus directly across the street from my building, and fortuitously, this busline runs perpendicular to the busline I'd been riding to work before I moved, so I get off and pick up my usual line, and there it is. At work at the same time, though I live farther away, and I don't get up any earlier than before. You can't pay for fortune like that.

I finally wrote the lovely Devika; that made me feel better. And Gordon wrote to me (an e-mail) asking how the move went (he was out of town last weekend). That made me feel good, too.

No comments: