Saturday, April 10, 2004

It was fortunate that Caryl ended up spending last night with me; not only did I get the opportunity to see her and spend time with her, but she helped me unload my trash. It would have been significantly harder to negotiate getting that stuff into the freight elevator and down to the garbage scowl on my own.

Last night while my sister took a nap I took all of the paintings and prints down from my walls. I always forget how much sound wall hangings absorb, how they fill a space, and give it character. As soon as all Gordon's paintings came down, this apartment started to look generic... like someone had abandoned her life here.

In addition to helping me throw old, pointless things out, Caryl also took several things from me that I didn't want, but that weren't really trash (if she hadn't wanted them, they would have been gotten rid of). It is one of my "things" that when I'm over something, I'm over it. I don't brainstorm ways to make it of use to someone else. I am also philosophically opposed to donating worn, shabby things to charity... as though to say I am doing someone less fortunate a favour by giving them something I am ready to discard. I always get major flack from friends for this mindset, but I think generosity is parting with something of good quality, that you, yourself, might also want, but willingly give up. I like the idea of buying new things and donating them. I always wonder if something costs me nothing, on some level, if it means anything to give it up.

I'm enjoying a cup of my current favourite tea, Tension Tamer, and watching an ABC Family Special "See Jane Date." It's cheeseball, but I like these feel good made-for-TV romantic misadventure stories.

In other news, my mom brought me an Easter basket when she came to pick up Caryl today--to my recollection, I haven't had one of these since I was a young child. It was a sweet gesture. She also brought me portions of the food she made early for the dinner she's hosting tomorrow since I won't be there. She looked pretty with her nails all done and painted pink.

No comments: