Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"You're not listening to me; I said 'I love you.'"

One of the clerks at 7-11 (where I went tonight for chicken broth and milk for a polenta I was planning) is flirtatious with me. At first, I didn't know if it was true flirtation or just friendliness gone a little awry (sometimes I really cannot tell). I usually ignore it.

As is always the case, I had my earbuds firmly in place, Robin Thicke's Evolution coursing through my ears at full volume (he incanted that I could call him my professor and see him after class), while the clerk was chatting with me. I responded to what I thought he was saying.

"Fine! How are you?"

He motioned for me to remove my earphones, and said the line that functions as the title of this post.

What could I say in return?

"Thank you! That is so sweet!"

And I meant it.

I'll take someone telling me he loves me, even if it is based purely on my sporadic appearances at his convenience store. I'm in a generous mood--in the mood to generously receive whatever kindness strangers want to proffer.

No comments: