Sunday, February 04, 2007

Weekend in the Rearview Mirror/ Week on the Horizon

On Saturday evening Sarah, myself, and a couple of her coworkers got to partake of the the multi-course gourmet meal we won (as a four-person collective) via the Susan G. Komen donation raffle that was held at Sarah's job back in October. We started with pomegranate martinis, moved on to an appetizer of asian crab cakes (paired with a lovely Shiraz). From there we had a potato leek soup with braised scallops, which was followed by a mixed green salad topped with bacon, butternut squash, red onions, and creamy bleu cheese (all tossed with a subtle lemon vinaigrette). The main course, paired with another dreamy red (I do not remember the brand, vintage, or family of grape to which it belonged), was a macademia-encrusted mahi-mahi (so succulent), accompanied by a rice pilaf with orange zest, and fresh green beans & carrots. Dessert was two-pronged attack. Miniature molten lava chocolate cakes with mint-infused whipped cream and... key lime pie. We were meant to have a choice. We all chose to have a bit of both.

As per usual, I crashed at Sarah's house on Saturday night. Today, after watching the Sunday morning line up of shows on the Food Network, Sarah graciously did my taxes. Thankfully, the Federal return will yield a refund, but I'm getting a little nickeled and dimed by the state. I don't know why, and I certainly can't prove it, but I feel somehow that this must be Martin O'Malley's fault.

Tomorrow. Ah tomorrow. Back to work, full steam ahead. But Friday, oh friday... Well. That's dinner with Sarah and my now former thesis advisor. Finally, I'm taking them out to say thanks for seeing me through last semester.

No comments: