Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Interesting. the instructor has changed the script a bit. I thought I had his syllabus routine down: two short papers during the semester; one long one at the very end. This time, we actually have to turn in writing exercises (fiction, not exploratory reflection papers), four of them to be exact, conduct one 10-15 minute presentation on a work not covered in class, and finally, turn in a short story or chapter of a novel with a 2-3 page commentary on said work at the last class meeting.

Even though it's more intense and more work, I'm relieved. This is my third class with him, and I worried that his style might go stale on me, not because the man isn't a literary lion, but because, well, three back-to-back classes with anyone prof could get old. He gave us a crazy amount to read for next week, mostly short pieces. Full court press. Assignments give my life such meaning. My dream is to turn into an exceptionally busy person, but one who is only busy with things that truly stimulate me.

He told me that his life has settled down a bit since the summer, so on some Monday or Friday night he and I will get together to discuss my paper from last semester. The man does try.

Have to turn in my first poem for Poetry Workshop with Professor Genteel tonight. I'm going to sumbit my Anna Karenina piece written this past April. I thought about trying to churn out something new today before I leave work, but I doubted my ability to get that rabbit out of the hat. Further, I want the AK poem to be part of my final thesis, and I can only include pieces that have been workshopped in a class taken in the program... so that's settled. I just printed out 12 copies.

My finances are fluid at the moment (Praise the Lord), so I finally ordered my sister the birthday present she most wanted--a beginner violin. I had it shipped to her at school. It's only 3 weeks late.

I'm hungry, y'all. Cereal just doesn't do it for me most mornings anymore.

Speaking of eating (and weightloss and all that jazz), my gym attendance is still spotty. I'll get the rhythm back next week when the dog has gone and when Sarah is no longer bunking with me. It's just hard to get motivated to go ride the elliptical when I have my best friend and my best canine at my disposal... and naturally having class again has thrown in a monkey wrench. I'm not down for the count or anything, just need to get readjusted.

No comments: