Saturday, September 24, 2005

I have never seen so many bostonians outside of boston as I did last night at Camden Yards. Accents aside, it was just clear from the cold-weathered skin, the demeanor, the affect of 90% of the people around me that I was sitting in enemy territory on home turf.

The Red Sox gave us a beating (the hits just keep coming for the Os on and off the field), no doubt, and I know Bo Sox fans are still on the high from their landmark series win last year, so there was no competing with their momentum.

The highlight of the game for me is when I turned around and engaged a guy and his buddies on the Sox/Yankees rancor. He was taken slightly aback to have to actually give a reason for this deep-seated, inherited hatred. He said (goodnaturedly) "What? the Os don't have a rival?" I assured him that we did (the Yankees, actually, are our rival, but they so far outdistance us, that it's an insult to them for us to say that). In any case, this kid, God bless him, has no reason for hating the Yanks so much. They're just "an evil empire." It was fun, I have to admit, to say to him "...but it goes so deep, can you talk to me about that?"

I'm just going to state it right now for the record. I in no way hate the Yankees. I have mad love for that ball club, because they are good, and the very fact that they inspire such unadulterated hatred says better than anything else just how much a threat people perceive them to be. But you are reading the girl who, once in 1998, wore a Yankees hat to an Os home game. Just my way of shaking things up a bit.... The irony of this? I'm not even a baseball woman. If I had to pick a sport, It'd be football all the way.

I'm on my way out to a women's prayer brunch. If there are anecdotes from this event, I'll share them!

No comments: