Thursday, February 19, 2004

A Prophet Without Honor

Jesus left there and went into his hometown, accompanied by his disciples. When the Sabbath came, he began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed.

"Where did this man get these things?" they asked. "What's this wisdom that has been given him, that he even does miracles! Isn't this a carpenter? Isn't this Mary's son and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" And they took offense at him.

Jesus said to them, "Only in his hometown, among his relatives and in his own house is a prophet without honor." He could not do any miracles there, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. And he was amazed at their lack of faith. (Mark 6:1-6; All Emphasis, mine)

This blog is not meant to be a source of controversy, nor a place where current events are discussed, unless anecdotally. Heck, I'm not even supposed to have a blog anymore.

I did not want to comment on the "Passion of Christ" debate that is raging, but I can't keep silent. I read an excellent post on another blog today that spurred me on, and I feel that my silence would be negligent at this point.

Let me beging by saying Christ was a Jew, not a Christian. True followers of Christ cannot reasonably be accused of anti-semitism in light of this crucial, but largely ignored fact. His earliest followers were Jews (not referred to as "Christians" until the event at Antioch in the book of Acts), just as his dissenters were. I know that many people have perpetrated all kinds of vile acts in the name of Jesus Christ, but I am not dealing with that here.

I also have to say that I have not yet seen the film. So I am speaking, not to its credibility or its perceived irresponsibility, but to the merit of the Gospel. I believe that the Bible is the infallible Word of God, historically accurate, "living and active."

What Christ is saying in this particular passage (also referenced in Matthew 13:57 and John 4:44) is that the unfaithful hearts of his own people (because he was in Israel afterall) did not recognize him when he came. He was perceived by the religious leaders as a blasphemer. He claimed to be God. He didn't leave room in his proclamations about himself for him to be labeled a "good man" or " a great teacher" He was either who he claimed to be or a Liar.

The point is not that a few Jewish religious leaders did not believe him, and considered him a threat, but that most, by and large, did not receive him with their hearts. In Isaiah 53, it was foretold that he would be a man acquainted with grief, despised, and rejected. He was not supposed to be welcomed, because it is no sacrifice to only love people who love you back.

Here's the point. people rejected Christ. Jews and non. In my sinful nature, I did. Christ died for me. My sin yelled "Crucify!" louder than the mob that day (The O.C. Supertones)

No comments: