Monday, February 09, 2004

I have wanted to be in love for a long time. It's a cliche, but this is the week I am inclined to think about this more than usual. Something in the way I'm pondering it this year is different, but the fact is still the fact. I wish I had someone for whom to buy a valentine. Or, should I say I wish I was in a position, emotionally and relationally to buy someone specific a valentine. I wish I were getting one. Every year I wish that life, fate, destiny, whatever, would surprise me. I know valentines don't come from thin air. And I know that one day doesn't make or break a year, and what might lie ahead (or what doesn't).

I always wait for this day to come and go. Because, no matter what people say about it not just being for lovers, I beg to differ. I'm all about inclusiveness, but sometimes the very nature of a thing leaves others out. If it weren't exclusive, it wouldn't be what it is.

At the end of the day, Valentine's day is for lovers. And I'm not jealous, and I don't begrudge those who will be getting flowers and cards because someone is in love with them. I would just love to be included one year before the flower of my youth fades.

No comments: