Friday, May 11, 2007

Yet another reason to step back from the sphere of online dating

So, I get an e-mail notification that I have a message in my online dating site mailbox. It says "Thanks, but I've just met someone and I want to see what develops." I figured it was someone that I wrote to at the very beginning of my stint back in February who is just now getting back to me, because I can't remember the last time I initiated contact with anyone...

No. It was a man who first wrote to me a few weeks ago. I never replied to him (not even to say "thanks, but no thanks.") because he didn't have a photo and by that time, I'd figured out that it's perfectly acceptable online dating protocol to not reply at all if you are not interested. In the beginning I was sending everyone acknowledgment messages and often it just kept the line of communication going longer than I wanted it to.

He sent me a blow-off message. A blow-off message in response to his own overture toward me. Forgive me if you are a man and you read this blog, but it's dubious parlance like that that makes me think men are a categorical waste of time and space.

No comments: