Sunday, July 16, 2006

There are times when I feel especially competent--small moments, really--little slivers of a day when I pull off something basic with remarkable ease, and I think 'I've really grown up.'
This morning, anticipating the "delivery" of some kitchen carts I bought from someone's moving sale, I woke up and got breakfast started while C continued to sleep. The coffee drip was going, the turkey bacon warming, and the eggs were scrambling. And I got this all on the table at once, complete with orange juice. I woke up my sister and we sat down to eat. She told me about her dreams. I got such a sense of satisfaction from it. These are my favourite kinds of feats. The ones that are no big deal, but that require some overarching degree of aplomb. I was finished eating and halfway through my cup of joe when I got the call that the woman with the carts was downstairs. Perfect timing.

Yesterday, after a stellar hair cut (my stylist is such an artist), I came home and resumed doing my laundry. I had about 4 loads (including linens and blankets). C did about three loads, too, then we got dolled up because J and E (from college days) were meeting us at my place. We went to the City Cafe for dinner and then to Sammy's Trattoria for dessert. Afterward, we came back to my place-- J and E stayed just long enough to watch a Sex and the City episode and to take a few photos, then off they went.

I resumed my reading of Christopher Moore's "A Dirty Job." Talk about comedic genius.

No comments: